Sunday, July 23, 2006

Flirting with disaster...but escaping with just a few bruises

Yesterday was the last Saturday before the tournament where I could practice specific things for longer periods of time than during regular class time. I brought Drew with me, as he hasn't been to a class since the end of May, so that way he could at least get into the swing of it for the tournament. I know what you are thinking...I was setting myself up for disaster. Actually, there were only two points that did have some less than desireable effects. One was that, unbeknownst to me, in his regular class which he took, they were doing a lot more direction-giving and cracking down a little harder than usual as they were getting the little white/orange/yellow belts ready for tournament. Well, Drew's been out of the loop for a while, so it was a little bit of overload and it was difficult. Victoria informed me of all this, since she was co-teaching the class. I asked her if it was a "normal" class if he would've done okay, and she said, "Oh yeah, definitely he would've been okay if it was a normal class. He just had a rough time due to having to follow more directions than usual." Drew did tell me, however, that he really liked sparring class, so that's good. The other thing is that between sparring class and his regular class, while I had found entertainment for him while I continued with my classes, I think he probably needed a snack very badly. I just didn't have the time this morning. (Read my regular blog, Windsornot's Journal, for an update on the rest of my crazy life, and you'll understand what's been going on.) So, a snack would've been helpful, as it was VERY late before we got out of classes and got some lunch. Drew is a very cranky boy when he's hungry, that's for sure.

Classes were good for me, however. Before Drew and I went off, I did squeeze in a moment to review "THE WAY" DVD I have for the brown belt form so I could review what I did know, and see if watching the end I could fix that part I keep screwing up. Sure enough, it definitely helped. Heck, I'm bringing my portable DVD player and that DVD with me to tournament next week to make sure that I remember everything and review before I compete! We did a quick mock tournament practice, and I was shown to be good because I took my time. I just have to work on getting the kihaps in, still get better consistency with the wrist snaps, and heck, just remember the darn form! I was also told that my outer crescent kick was really good, and that the "judges" (Victoria and Ben P., a 2nd and 3rd degree BB respectively), felt they couldn't even execute these well. I think mine are not graceful, but I guess I get the job done! Weapons, were no problem. I was advised to throw in at least one or two extra kihaps just to sound good. Sparring was fine...I don't think I can get much better than I am. Evidentally my kicks to the head are something to be reckoned with, but I supposed it's a matter of me using my height advantage at least. Just need to remember to cover myself when kicking still! Board breaking-- I have it. As long as I'm warmed up, that knifehand break is gold.

In other tournament news, I have gotten a few boosters in, and I secured another item for the raffle, so hopefully Ma'am will be happy about that. We still have to get the last big thing worked out with my BIL's employer (a caterer) for their donation of breakfast food for the event. I hope that works out!

Between things going on at home, and this tournament, it's going to be a busy week! I will try to go to class as much as I can this week, and I think I will be able to hold my own in the tournament. I just really want to do well and get a placement. Hopefully all the work I've been putting in will pay off.

No comments: