Friday, September 15, 2006

Drew is in Master's Program!

Today was the official first day of Drew being in the Master's program, since we got most of his gear in today. (And I do still have to pay for it, but I can do that on Monday.) Drew already had his punches and mouthpiece, and I knew he really had been wanting to upgrade since last spring. Since he proved to me in the last week that he'd grown up a little, I went ahead and got the stuff. He is REALLY excited. He got his head gear, a chest protector, shin guards, a cup (he thought that was funny), and kicks (foot protectors). I think the kicks are too small, to be honest, so I'm going to see if there are any in a size larger when I go to work on Monday. He also got his first ssang jeh bahng (numchucks), bahng mah ee ("the stick"), and because they were studying it, and there was only an XMA one left, Drew is getting his jahng bong (bo staff). Oh, he was happy about that! The only thing missing was his breaking board, 'cause we were out, but they didn't break today anyway. He had fun. Today, he had a small class with Mr. Lee again, and Mr. Lee is tough! He wore the poor kid out! But I think he really enjoyed himself, and that's what's good. I think he REALLY liked being in full gear especially. He's on a roll now!

So, without further ado, here is a photo of my son, sparring for the first time in full gear, against a former world champion and a 4th or 5th degree BB, no less. Go Drew!

5 comments:

John Vesia said...

Sounds like Drew is making nice progress. And he enjoys the "tough" classes - another good sign. Tell him to keep up the good work!

frotoe said...

I love seeing little kids all geared up. Good for him-you must be proud!!

Unknown said...

Hi Frotoe! You are new here (or at least with comments), so welcome! Nice to have someone else join in! Looks like you and I are both moms the same age going for similar martial arts goals, so that's cool!

Miss Chris said...

Great pic! My 8 year old daughter hates to spar but it's required. I don't enjoy it to much either.

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Chris! You and I have a lot in common-- almost the same age, both Leos, and until last week, I was a SAHM too. Sweet! We Leos have tenacity, that's for sure. I can appreciate how you feel about our old bones not always wanting to cooperate when doing martial arts!