Monday, September 04, 2006

Forging Forward

I'm back from vacation, and I think I'm ready to get back into TKD. A week away seemed like a looooong time. I don't have my first class until tomorrow, but there were certain aspects of classes I missed. I think the biggest thing that I missed was the release. What I mean by that is that a lot of tension that builds up is released during class. That can be true of almost any exercise, but I think the fact that I can punch and kick almost to my heart's content is healthier not only physically but emotionally. It's no wonder that guys with anger management issues love boxing and martial arts sometimes, or use that as a constructive way to release their anger physically. I truly appreciated that for myself in the past week. I did try to do some stretching and keeping limber, but I'm sure I didn't do enough. At least in going back, my back is normal (for me) again, so I should be able to get back into things a little more easily.

However, I'm nervous also. While I have a little less than a week reprieve, next week I start working at my school. Over vacation, it was decided that not only would I be helping with administrative stuff, but I'd also be teaching Cubs classes, and perhaps a homestudy group's class. Yikes. I've been assured by Ma'am that I don't have to come up with the lesson plan, or do anything beyond white/orange/yellow levels (and I'm now 6 belts above white now, so this stuff ought to be easy enough), but still...I want to do a good job. I've watched and participated in PLENTY of classes, and even assisted in a class or two, but never taught one solo. It's an intimidating thought, since in some ways I have a clue what to do, and in other ways, I have no idea what I'm doing. Thus, the intense nerves. Well, if nothing else, at least for the first week, if I can just get the kids to pay attention, and focus on different exercises that I do know if something goes wrong, that will be a success in itself, y'know? Get them to trust and respect me, but still provide some fun that they like coming to class-- that's what's important. I have to remember that Ma'am evidentally thinks enough of me to want to hire me, and trusts my knowledge and abilities enough to give me some classes before I even get to the black belt level. I think that's what's keeping me going with this whole thing...

In the meantime, Drew will be starting classes again himself after a summer off. I think he misses class a little bit, and likes his association with the ATA, as he insisted on wearing his ATA t-shirts most of the past week on vacation. He's very into the Power Rangers now, and I keep telling him that the Power Rangers got their skills starting in TKD classes before they grew up, so hopefully that'll click. He also has about a week or two to prove that he's going to be more grown up in class before I dump the $300 for additional equipment he needs to upgrade to Masters/Black Belt Club classes. (At our school, Ma'am decided to do away with the Black Belt Club, and combined Masters and BBC together.) He loves sparring, and has a natural ability with it, so I think he's probably ready to get the rest of his gear instead of just punches and mouthpiece, so that way he can throw in some kicks now too! He's only mildly interested in learning weapons and breaking boards, but I think once he tries it, he'll enjoy them too. I'll have to see if each of us needs a new bo staff (the one "basic" weapon we don't have) or if we can share one. Hopefully we can share, and I plan to get a top of the line one for longevity.

So, here I am, on the cusp of a new chapter in my quest for my black belt in Songahm Taekwondo. Past the halfway point in the ascent in the color belts, teaching my first classes, and learning more about the business. It's a lot on my plate, and I just have to think positively that things will work out fine.

No comments: