Monday, December 12, 2005

More weaponry! Since it was the end of the week, and we had just finished graduation, Ma'am decided to work on weapons. We did some warmups first, but then we got out our baton-like things. I don't know if they are supposed to be like clubs or swords, but we were learning how to defend with them. Nothing like fencing, of course. That was a new one, but I think it's because most of the black belts in class have to work on that stuff. I also continued to work on that freaking board break. I like board breaking, but I hate that plastic stuff, and I'm having such a hard time with this simple break. The problem is that I don't know how to gauge the kick. I can position myself correctly, I can chamber correctly, and I can touch the target correctly when practicing the kick. But when I actually have to employ the kick, then I run into problems. There's a lot to think about in getting to the kick. The other problem that I think I'm running into is the execution of it, specifically where the energy is distributed. What I mean by that is that in everything I've ever learned in any sport, it's basically a windup and the pitch, and the windup is where all the energy is built up, and the pitch is the release of that energy. Well, evidentally with this kick, it's the other way around. TOTALLY contrary to everything I've ever learned in any other sport or in dancing. The energy is the kick itself, and not the chamber or set up. How confusing! The black belts working with me were very patient, to say the least, giving lots of tips. I think Ma'am still reminds me not to hop too. :-S It should be so simple theoretically, and it's not, but I won't move on until I master this. It's frustrating, but I don't let it get to me. Life won't end if I don't master this stuff right away, after all.

Tonight, we'll see how class goes. I'm extremely tired from a long winded weekend, and I had to get up extra early today to take Lynn back to the train station. We'll see how much energy I have!

No comments: