Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Brain dead, or maybe I'm not cut out for this.

Today was another triple threat TKD day, like last week. Drew's class, quick break, and then 2 classes in a row for me.

First for Drew. He was doing better today. He only had to sit out once, and I saw that Mr. A and Miss Chunko worked with him individually instead of pairing him up with other kids, and I think he did better with that. Overall, it was a better time for him, and he did earn his star patch from last week, so he was happy about that. So I was happy with him today. He had an overall good day before class, so that contributed to that, I'm sure. It was a good day for Drew. He's slowly, but surely improving.

I dunno. Sometimes I think I made a big mistake going into Leadership. I am not a kid, and I think that mentally I'm not cut out for this. Maybe it's because I was tired and I've had an abnormally busy and long day. The drills we had to do were hard, and just physically difficult for me. If I was a kid, maybe I could do them, but I'm just not in that kind of shape. When working on forms, as usual, Malachi rushed through stuff, and he doesn't pay attention to the details. I did get a better sense of direction, but I have to get the ki-haps and the foot positioning better. I'm getting it. Next week is when they decide who's actually graduating and who's not. Weapons, I'm getting a little more. Alex V. was impressed that I was starting to get the horizontal 360s, but I do have to work on the vertical one and come up with something for graduation. Gotta start thinking about that. Board breaking-- it was a foot week. Instead of doing the front kick, which I can get right off the bat, I decided to reapproach the side kick, but from the reverse side. It took 3 tries once it was locked in, but I got it, much faster than the other foot. I think I have a better idea of what to do with it now. Sparring was okay. Nothing special there.

Leadership class was a challenge. And I was paired up with Ma'am. She was patient, but at the same time I think she gets a little frustrated with me. I am just brain dead, but I was getting the hang of it after a while. I just look and listen to some of this, and wonder if I'll ever catch up.

There is a slight silver lining tonight that I discovered late tonight. As of tonight, probably for the tournament year of 2005-2006, I am ranked third for my age and rank for the state of New Jersey in weapons. Yay me! I heard everyone congratulating Alex V. for getting first in all formats for his age and rank (age 14-16 color belt). While that's great, and he's even helped me and I would consider him a young friend, I wish they could've fussed about me a little. I mean, I haven't even been doing this a year, and I'm 3rd in the state for weapons. That's not too shabby, c'mon! My husband told me, at least that in this house, I was #1 all the way around, and that meant a lot to me.

No comments: