Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Still rusty in some spots, but nothing that can't be buffed out

Man, I sound like an old car with that subject heading.

Tonight was my first class back since the day after graduation, which was about 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, not much was done last week since it was the week before Labor Day and the end of August (pretty much a dead week at the school), and everyone is starting to come back now, including us. Drew starts back this week too. I was a little tight from being away and not exercising as much, but I wasn't as bad as I thought I could have been. Felt a little creaky, but not much more than that.

Since it was a makeup graduation for all those in the adult classes (and there was only 5 of them), we started up with some warm up drills to get our hips going and did some stretching first. Actually-- let me backtrack a pinch. Among those who had to do graduation tonight was Sharon. So, even though it'd been two weeks, before class started I reviewed the form with her, and I still remembered it. Didn't do it beautifully, but I remembered it all. Even she said that compared to knowing it for tournament, she knew it much better now and could execute it better now too. I know the feeling! So, she was ready, and I felt pretty good that I still remembered it after a week.

After that, those doing graduation went to the back mat, and the rest of us were supposed to be working on reviewing Songham#2 and its corresponding one-steps (I haven't done them for a year, so I don't remember it that well), and Chuhng-Jung #2 (the form I'm supposed to be learning now). It was a little hard to follow, because everyone else has done this stuff a million times before. I remember Dr. Jimmy teaching me the first part of Songahm #2 and the 1st one step, and I was SO intimidated by him. I'm not now, but then...yeah. Eventually, Mr. A pulled me to go with the other color belts who were done with graduation testing and to go learn CJ#2. Alex was showing it to us, and it's pretty easy so far, just have to get one part straight with the hand direction. Then we did some sparring, but it wasn't heavy duty. And that was that.

Not a bad re-entry into TKD world.

No comments: