Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Asthma, Congestion and TKD don't mix well

Despite the fact that I'm sick, I'm not running a fever. It's one of those things where I'm not sick enough to stay home, but sick enough that I shouldn't be at work, but am. So, unless I'm falling on my face and not running a fever, I went in. It's only for a few hours, after all, not like a full day. The thing that I really, perhaps shouldn't have done, however, was take class before work.

There is a single day class during the week at 11 AM on Wednesdays. So now that I'm working 12-3, I can take that class during the week guilt free. Being that I have graduation on Friday, I felt it would be beneficial for SW to see how I was doing and get any additional help if needed, especially with my Jahng Bong. Turns out I had been shown the ending wrong. I explained to her that I've been going to Weapons specialty classes on Saturdays, but usually end up doing strike line drills and teaching the little ones as much of the Jahng Bong form as I could remember, but I was having trouble with the end of it. So, because there were only four of us in class, I actually got a little one-on-one time to get it fixed and get it right. I still have to practice it before Friday, but it's a small adjustment in what I was doing wrong. Also found out that I've been placing my hands too close together when holding the weapon, so hopefully that's a habit I'll be able to break soon enough. She didn't have any comments about my form, so either I did it okay, or it was good enough for now, considering I'll have to do it again in a several months.

The problem was, with being sick, even a little bit of exercise wasn't all that good, but it wasn't all that bad. The good part was that it got my adrenaline up enough that I was feeling better for a little bit. The bad part was that just doing warmup kicks across the floor winded me big time, so when we were stretching, I was huffing and puffing enough to put the Big Bad Wolf to shame. My lungs still hurt like hell, being that they are still quite congested and all. I'd normally be huffing and puffing due to my asthma, but being congested AND with asthma, not a good combination. To boot, I didn't eat my lunch right away, and so when I got hungry, instead of just feeling hunger pains, it was hunger pains like I was going to faint and feel sick to my stomach. I started to overheat and put the A/C on in the room. I eventually got something to eat, albeit something small, and cooled down. I even put my head down for a little while on the front desk.

I'm a little better now, but it's a matter of making sure I'm drugged up on the proper amount of OTC drugs and getting as much rest as possible. I swear there's a conspiracy that's preventing me from getting a nap here and there, and I'm trying to go to bed early. But I won't make that mistake again. I'll make myself worse.

In the meantime, when I was functional, RA, SW and I quickly got stuff together for tonight's graduation. Normally I'd go, and I could go, but I am going to Pennington on Friday with Drew instead. Should be interesting, as Mr. Bassett will also be judging, so hopefully he's patient. (Doubt it, from what I've heard.) SW is starting to regret opening the 2nd school. I told her that I felt guilty that I couldn't do more to help, since I don't know what she needs done, and she just has to show me more of what needs to be done and I can help. She said that I shouldn't feel guilty at all, but she shouldn't have invested in the other school. I haven't told her this, but I don't think it was wrong to open another school. But the way her time is divided, and her funds are being depleted, I think it was the wrong time. There's nothing wrong with having the ambition or goal of having more than one school. It's just not the right timing. Things are bad for her financially that she had to trade in her big Suburban for a Jeep Wrangler because she couldn't afford the Suburban anymore. I could see the sadness in her face about it. In many ways, she's miserable, and I wish I could do more to help. She's not ungrateful for what RA and I have done, but some of it comes with time, and there's a lot that's just intuitive to her that's not to us. Or, for example, I'd work on people who would be upgrade candidates, but I don't know who they are because I don't teach class. I don't know who's what belts, where they are at in their studies, etc. That's RA's job. So, it's hard for me to follow up on people that I don't know who to follow up on. The current lead log is about as up to date as it could possibly be. And SW knows we are trying and we are working it for her. I think she really misses being at our school full-time. Her birthday is in a few weeks, so I'll have to be sure to give her a little something to make her day.

And with that...I'm going to go try to eat some dinner, namely Greek Chicken and Rice Soup (Avgolemono). Hopefully it'll help the cold. I'm not too hungry, but I am also starting to get those weird hunger pangs again.

I hate being sick.

No comments: