Monday, November 27, 2006

Future XMA star

Boring day at work. So boring that most of the afternoon I spent rearranging the black belt display and put in order of rank, then in alphabetical order. Yeah.

So, tonight, being the doting mother that I can be sometimes, I made a mix CD of music for my son. It's not something I do often-- I think the last time I did it was 2 years ago. His tastes have matured a little, and having just seen the movie, "Happy Feet" --twice, in fact -- he wanted the music, and I told him I'd make a music CD for him, and include other music.

Well, the boy is a dancing fool much like his mother. He's got some wiggly moves that I know he definitely did NOT inherit from his Latino father. (Aren't they supposed to genetically have the dance moves? My husband disproves about 90% of all ethnic generalizations about Hispanic men, let me tell you.)

So what does this have to do with TKD? LOTS. As Drew is up and dancing all over the place, he starts throwing in some acrobatic moves, including doing a flip, at which I shrieked because I thought he'd come down on his head instead of his feet. It was funny afterwards. (He was doing it on carpeting, but a mat would be better, of course.) But he'd also throw in some punch-jab-roundkick combos into his dancing, and some other TKD moves as well.

And it got me to thinking, as he had the moves and the energy without even being taught how to do it the "right" way.

When he's old enough for Leadership, there is NO doubt that I'm putting him into XMA classes. (Kids at our school are not allowed to take XMA unless they are part of the leadership program.) He's a natural for it. The other 3rd degrees who are even in the class say he'd be a natural. He's not ready for leadership --nor is my pocketbook right now, and I don't think he's mature enough for the rest of what junior leadership entails. But man oh man, when he's old enough, he's going to be incredible. I'm sure of it. From my many years in dance, as well as the TKD I've done and observed so far, he's got the natural ability for it. It's just a matter of him sticking with it long enough to get to that. Oh, and I hope he does! He'd blow everyone away.

OK, and in a selfish, conceited note, I definitely have a kama routine down now that should be pretty good for a first-timer. I was practicing it in our driveway while waiting for the bus to drop Drew off from school, and I think I've worked the kinks out now. We'll see if it jives for graduation next week.

No comments: