Sunday, January 28, 2007

Two More Weeks to endure!

I've certainly been busy with my TKD, as has Drew. I've just been very busy with the rest of my life while I'm at it, that's all!

Wednesday's classes were pretty good. Both classes were rather small. In the morning, it was just Winnie and me. In the instructor class, there were only 4 others. So in both cases, we worked on our forms, but I could get a lot more individual attention, which I need since I need to compete with this form. My main problem, however, is that I am still having my back problems. I've been to the chiropractor twice, and I'm going again tomorrow, but it's just not going away. The Chiro told me at the last visit that the part of my back that's bothering me so much is really locked up badly. Great. It does feel better, however. I'm not in constant pain now, just when I get up or down, or try to do anything remotely active. :-S It figures that my back and hip hurt profusely when I have to do sidekicks, and what's my form full of? Yep, you guessed it. Both regular and reverse sidekicks. Crap. But in the meantime, I have some hand-foot timing stuff I can work on, as well as some hand positioning things to work on as well. Nothing that can't be handled.

The sad yet humorous thing about this whole back thing is seeing me-- or being me- trying to to the one-steps for this form. They show them to us so that we've seen them at least. I don't have to know them for graduation, but one-steps #2 and 3 are doozies with this back injury especially and the bum knee. The bum knee doesn't help either. It's on the same side as the back injury, 'ya know. One of them has a reverse outer crescent kick, and the other has a spin outer crescent kick. In the words of my fellow Jerseyans on the Sopranos, FUGGEDABOUDIT! Not going to happen. So you can imagine if one side of my body is not cooperating, and that's the side that has the kick....yeah, pretty messed up and amusing how BAD it looks-- and is. My mind is willing to do it, but the body is just not willing. Not unless I enjoy huge lightening bolts of pain in my body, which I do not. I can barely get up and down out of a chair for long. Walking isn't too much of a problem, and I can stand for a while, as long as I keep moving. This is not fun, and I'm starting to get concerned. I can't afford to take a break from my training right now. I just can't. :-(

Drew survived his regular class on Friday with fewer incidents. He did get his foot stepped on by accident, and while I'm sure it hurt a lot, he overreacted a bit. There was also a point where after that, it was hard to get him back into class in a totally cooperative manner. When he got another stripe for his belt, and got his permission to test form, he crumpled the form into a ball, and moped around behind the lined up kids. I was pretty pissed at him, and let him know. He also wanted to spar who HE wanted, and Mr. A let him know that Drew couldn't choose and he had to learn to spar other kids than this one kid Ricky whom he likes. (Ricky is the same size as Drew, but he's 7, same belt, and does Masters with Drew.) When it was time for Masters stuff, Ben wasn't being really good about keeping both kids occupied. Drew is doing single weapon, and Ricky is doing double, but he was spending more time with Ricky and his doubles, and so after doing a drill, Drew would start goofing off, and acted up enough that Nikki came out a disciplined him, which I had no issue with her doing that. I also talked to Drew about talking to Ben if he feels he's done with a drill, and asking about how to do another exercise to practice if he does what he's told and finishes, or gets bored with the one he's doing. I know why he did it, but I'm sure the circumstance isn't going to be fixed anytime soon, so there you go. At least next cycle, they'll be doing jahng bahngs again, and he likes that.

Classes on Saturday went decently. Drew went to sparring, but not regular class. He actually behaved and did MUCH better in class. I was really happy for that! I think he's starting to get the hang of sparring. I'm noticing his technique getting better, and more controlled. Still needs work, but I do see improvement. I would've taken it myself if it weren't for my back. I can deal with sparring on a bad knee, but the back....(I know, you've already heard about it). I do have to get into sparring again soon, whether I like it or not, because I need the practice for tournaments in a month. And for graduation too. Bleeh. My forms class went fine. I actually had to take over the class for a second while one child had just burst out crying at one point and Mr. A went to calm him down for a minute. Whoa! But at least I know the form well, and I had the kids participating, and RA could take over without any problems once he was done. Guess I have my exposure to teaching color belts now! Now if I could only remember and memorize all the color belt forms and one-steps and possibly the self-defense stuff, I too could be a certified instructor! :-P In time, in time, I know.

OK, enough babbling for now... graduation is 2 weeks from Wednesday, and I have a lot to concentrate on, but especially in getting better!

No comments: