Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Welcome to 2007!

OK, that's all I have to say.

;-)

Well, what do you expect? It's only the second day of the new year, after all!

I did go back to work today. Surprisingly enough, I was happy to be there. I didn't do much, only because I figured most people would be like me today-- just getting back into the swing of things, and not quite having it together yet after the immediate holiday week. So, I didn't make any follow up calls to anyone in particular, even the ones who said, "call back in January". We need to settle in first, myself included. But I think for me, it was a welcome break to be back.

You see, for those who only follow this blog of mine (and that's fine, I don't mind), I spent the whole last week moving. The very afternoon of Christmas, we were prepping thing to be moved the next day, as we got some help from family members to move the furniture from my old house to my new house. And you have to accept help when you get it, ready or not! I will leave it to say that I'm not completely moved out of the old place, but in a week we've made significant progress, and are living out of the new place now. Every day I go back in the morning and afternoon to pick up a few more things to bring back, and I am constantly working on trying to get reorganized. The past week has been a mind numbing experience where I did nothing but move, organize and clean from the time I'd wake up until I went to sleep. OK, I would take a break now and then, but very few.

So, you can imagine that showing up as the first person inside the school today was a little bit....liberating. Turns out that I didn't have a Cubs class today, although I brought my uniform and belt just in case. And I got a few Holiday sales signs down, and answered some phone calls, which was fine. But to get out of that and into another one of my little "worlds"-- my do-jahng-- was a happy thing for me. It was me getting back into some relative normalcy. Catching up with Ryan after a week away was good, and getting some good jokes and ribbing in was great. He liked the Xmas gift I gave him, as we are both tea lovers, and he approved of my choice that I gave him. (English Breakfast, always a safe bet! and a cool black and red mug.)

I did also finish part of the last year with a martial arts gift I got for Xmas. The only thing I had under the tree this year was a DVD, and it was one I had asked for. It was the all-time martial arts classic, "Enter The Dragon" with Bruce Lee. I have to say, it was kinda funny watching it. It was SOOOOO 70s, for sure. Not much of a plot, but the martial arts was cool. My husband laughed at me when I told him that a certain move was something that I was working on with my ssang jeh bahng (numchakas), and then I'd tell him what moves he just made (side kick/roundkick combo, or whatever). And he'd roll his eyes, as if to say, "What kind of martial arts monster am I helping to create?" LOL

So, I have to look at 2007 with a lot of focus. I have to watch it with my knee, and really think about my training. If I am going to compete at an "A" tournament in March, then I have to think carefully about what form I will compete with for traditional competition, what weapon I'll use, and figuring out how to do XMA forms and weapons in the process. Oh, and get my groove on with sparring, especially for endurance and with my bad knee. I don't make resolutions, as like most, I can't keep them. But it doesn't hurt to set some personal goals that get renewed often, and for me, it's working towards my black belt, doing the best job that *I* can in getting there, and making the most of my ability to compete with the skills that I have. I have about 5 more months to compete as a color belt, and when I get my black belt, then I only have about one year to compete as a 1st degree in the 30-something age group. So, I have to make my mark while I can!

Here's looking at 2007--- a year with a promise of hope for a prosperous new year!

No comments: